We’re a fast growing startup that has already raised close to $8 million in investment from leading venture capital firms, and have been named by Bloomberg as one of the 50 most promising startups in the world to look out for. Our goal is to revolutionise the world of Location Intelligence and the way businesses think about, and act upon location intelligence data.
At Geoblink we use the latest technologies to find solutions to real world problems businesses face when trying to expand or increase efficiency. We leverage GIS technologies and Big Data to create a beautiful map-based user interface that not only provides lots of awesome statistics but also a great user experience.
We are proud of the collaborative and diverse environment we have built and continue to foster, with plenty of opportunities to have a real impact on the business.
About Geoblink Tech
Our systems are built using an SOA approach that allows us to perform multiple deployments per day. We ❤️ monitoring, pull requests, iteration, continuous deployment and automated testing. The trunk of our stack is Python, Node.js, Vue.js, PostgreSQL and Spark but our architecture is language-agnostic. We move fast but put a lot of thought into the design of our architecture so that it’s simple and scalable. We write clean, modular code to produce great software that solves the needs of our clients.
Our Tech & Data culture is based on the high standards we try to achieve in everything we build and the personal development of our team. We foster an inclusive atmosphere of non-ego and respect where ideas are shared and feedback is used to promote quality and innovation. Some initiatives we have in place are hackathons twice a year, bi-weekly Tech&Data talks, personal development budget for books, training and conferences and time for side projects every other Friday.
You can visit our Tech blog to learn more about the projects and technologies at Geoblink.
About the Data team
Data is at the heart of all the technical challenges at Geoblink. The data team you would join is in charge of cleaning, normalizing and transforming data from over 60 sources and deploying the result into our production systems to feed our SaaS solution, used by our customers across different countries.
Given the variety of sources to work with (from demographic datasets economic or mobile data, passing by city events), our ETL processes are based in a wide range of technologies, including job schedulers like Airflow and Jenkins, message brokers for cross-service communication like RabbitMQ and Kafka, Spark for parallel processing, geospatial databases like Neo4J and PostGIS, GIS tools like Geoserver for geolocation operations plus different tools of the AWS stack (DynamoDB, Athena, Aurora…).
This requires a mix of mainly two different roles in the team: data scientists for process ideation and analysis, and engineers to implement some of the most complex parts of the data treatment and plug the results into our testing and production systems.
About the job
We are looking for someone who is passionate about data and how to automate processes to handle it properly. You would be one of the points of reference of the team regarding how ETLs are implemented, integrating different sources with the rest of Geoblink’s systems. If you’re the type of person that is constantly reading about new trends to see what’s going on out there and how you might incorporate new technologies into your current project when there are good reasons for it, then we want to hear from you.
In other words, some of your responsibilities would be:
- Participate in the implementation and growth of the architecture for the ingestion, processing, and storage of a big amount of geospatial data.
- Create processes to maintain systems that allow the developers to perform all required actions.
- Build data pipelines to automate the ETL processes of many of the sources that we combine here at Geoblink.
- Work closely with the rest of the team including Data Scientists and Data Engineers to understand the needs and to find optimal solutions.
- Constantly review and update existing systems to find better solutions or technologies to make them more flexible, scalable or performant.
- Get involved in DevOps tasks such as infrastructure configuration and data systems administration.
- Mentor other team members to create a culture that fosters collaboration and personal growth
Who we’re looking for
- An enthusiastic Software Engineer with an interest in data and experience with Python or Scala.
- Experience working with databases (relational required, extra kudos for NoSQL).
- You have experience with SQL syntax.
- You know what messaging brokers are (special focus on Kafka).
- You know what Spark is and how a problem could be solved by splitting data among several distributed machines.
- You feel comfortable working with Git.
- Ability to explain what you did during the weekend in English.
- Comfortable working in a startup environment.
Bonus point if you:
- Have experience working with spatial data or GIS systems
- Have experience with infrastructure in the cloud (we use AWS)
- Have experience in data pipelines and ETL data processes.
Why work for Geoblink
Everyone at Geoblink is passionate about their job, whether it be growing business ROI or building complex data systems. People join us not just for the flexibility that we offer but because we have worked hard to foster a collaborative environment filled with plenty of opportunities to have a real impact in the business and collaborate with smart peers. We also offer the following:
- Company shares and a competitive and fair salary based on your experience
- Plenty of training initiatives to help your career progression
- Annual personal budget for you to spend on developing yourself (online courses, conferences, training, etc)
- Flexible remuneration: subsidized restaurant tickets, transport tickets, private healthcare and childcare
- No restrictions on vacation days, office hours, working from home days, etc. You manage your own work schedule responsibly
- Chill-out space with the typical start-up ping-pong table and the occasional office yoga session
- Start-up culture with fun initiatives and company events for all to enjoy
- Unlimited coffee, tea, soft drinks, fruit, etc
Geoblink is passionate about creating an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our employees.
Everyone is welcome and, we don’t discriminate on the basis of any protected characteristic including race, religion or beliefs, nationality, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital status, or disability.
We want to facilitate everyone in bringing their best to our interviews, so if there are any adjustments we can make for our process to be more inclusive, please let our team know.